In The Downs School we create a learning environment in which students of all ages and abilities are provided with the care and support they need to flourish.
We have extremely high expectations for attendance, behaviour and uniform and achieve consistency through the Downs Diamond, a behaviour management system that focuses on both rewards and sanctions. Our House system is at the heart of the school, fostering a sense of teamwork and community by providing students with leadership roles, competitions and the chance to earn House Points for academic success and positive contributions.
Heads of Year lead teams of tutors who are responsible for the day-to-day welfare and academic progress of their students, with Student Managers providing more intensive support and guidance for the students facing particular difficulties. In the Sixth Form, the Head of Sixth Form leads the tutor team, supported by the Deputy Head of Sixth Form and a dedicated Sixth Form Student Manager.
The SENDCO leads the provision for students with special educational needs or disabilities, working closely with the pastoral team to ensure all students are provided with the support and guidance they need to achieve their full potential. The Pupil Premium Progress Manager provides support to students on the government’s pupil premium list, helping them to overcome any barriers to learning and achieve success.
Our Pastoral Team
Key Stage Three
- Mrs Wilding – Head of Year Seven
- Mrs Keevill – Head of Year Eight
- Miss Duthie– Head of Year Nine
- Mr Gifford - Transition Leader
- Mrs Jones – KS3 Student Manager
- Mrs Jackson – Assistant Headteacher (KS3)
Key Stage Four
- Mrs Meijboom – Head of Year Ten
- Miss McDonnell – Head of Year Eleven
- Mrs Gayler – KS4 Student Manager
- Miss Bermingham – Assistant Headteacher (KS4)
- Mr Hogan – Head of Sixth Form
- Mr Hutchins – Deputy Head of Sixth Form
- Miss Jaaqar - Assistant Head of Sixth Form
- Mrs Peppiatt – KS5 Student Manager
- Mrs Waller - UCAS Manager
SEND, Pupil Premium and Inclusion
- Mrs Clark – SENDCO
- Mrs Holbrook – Assistant SENDCO
- Mrs Alexander – Pupil Premium Progress Manager
- Mrs Copping – Family Support Worker
- Mrs Rawlings – Inclusion Manager
- Mrs Moss – Student Support Assistant
- Mrs Wilson-Croombs – Careers Leader
- Mrs Wilson – Pastoral Administrator